Home Ownership: The American Dream
In an ideal world, people would have all the money they need for a down payment on a home. Unfortunately, the reality is that many people can’t afford a full down payment; in those cases, Buyer Assistance Programs help fill the gaps.
Where does one start to look for that assistance in Western New York? Fortunately, there are many resources for this type of assistance. Some programs will assist you with your down payment on a WNY home, and others will provide assistance with a mortgage. There are also Grant Programs that are available to qualified Western New York buyers.
The following programs are available to Western New Yorkers. If you are aware of a program that is not listed here, please let us know so we can add it to this list and assist other Western New Yorkers! Of course you cannot purchase a home or determine your eligibility without a good Mortgage Professional to guide you through the process and work with you and your Realtor.
Down Payment Assistance and Mortgage Assistance Programs
- FHA Loans – Government insured – allow you to buy a home with only a 3% down.
- VA Loans – If you are a veteran, you may buy a home with no money down.
Important Resources for Home Buyers
- Federal Housing Administration (FHA)
- Veteran’s Administration (VA) Mortgage
- US Department of Housing and Urban Development HUD
- State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYMA)
- NYS Division of Housing (DHCR)
- Buffalo Urban League 716-854-7625
- Neighborhood Housing Services 716-856-2952
- New York State Home Page
- Erie County Home Page
- Niagara County Home Page
- The Home Ownership Center of Buffalo (716-856-2952) provides grant money and down payment assistance for Home Repair programs, Emergency Repair programs, Bank Gift programs, 50/50 Loans, and Weatherization programs.
Specific Western New York Community Resources
- Belmont Shelter Corp 312-8075
- Black Rock / Riverside NHS 877-3910 Serving North Buffalo/Black Rock/Riverside
- Broadway/Filmore NHS 852-3130 Serving: Fillmore District
- Buffalo Urban League 854-7625 Serving: Buffalo
- Center City Neighborhood Dev Corp. 282-3738 Serving: Center City and Niagara Falls
- Citizen’s Alliance 895-2234 Serves: Delevan-Grider community
- City of Buffalo Home Page
- Community Action Org. 881-5150 Serving: Erie County
- Community Preservation 853-0266
- Department of Environment & Planning 858-6927 Areas Served: Erie County (except City of Buffalo), Amherst, Cheektowaga, Tonawanda, Hamburg, plus villages within the towns
- Ellicott District Community Development 856-3262 Serving: Ellicott District of Buffalo
- Fillmore/Leroy Area Residents (FLARE) 838-6740 Serves: Central Park-Masten District
- Hispanics United of Buffalo (H.U.B.) 856-7110
- Homefront, Inc. 856-2952 Serving: Erie County, Niagara County and Buffalo
- Kensington-Bailey NHS 836-3600 Serving: North-East Buffalo
- Lovejoy District Neighborhood Revitalization Services 896-5010 Serves: Buffalo-Lovejoy District
- Native American Community Services of Erie & Niagara Counties 874-4460
- NHS of South Buffalo 823-3630 Serves: South Buffalo
- Niagara Falls NHS 285-7778
- North Buffalo Community Development 874-6133
- North Tonawanda Community Development 695-8580 Ext 515
- Old First Ward Community Center 856-8613 Serving: South Buffalo/Old First Ward
- Tonawanda Community Development Agency 695-8645
- Town of Amherst 631-7082
- Town of Hamburg 648-6216
- Town of Cheektowaga 961-6606
- Town of Tonawanda 871-8850
- Town of Lackawanna 823-5134
- City of Lockport 439-6687
- West Side Neighborhood Housing Services 885-2344 Serving: West Side of Buffalo
What About One Of These Homes?
All statistics are gathered from the Buffalo Niagara Association of REALTORS®.
For more information, call our J. Philip Real Estate Team at (716) 650-0051
Thinking of selling your Western New York home? Interested in finding out the current market value of your single family home, condo or investment property? Then call us at (716) 650-0051 to discuss what is happening in today’s Western New York Real Estate Market. We would be happy to give you a personalized Comparative Market Analysis for your home or assist you to purchase a home.
Properties found on this Web site may be listed with a brokerage other than the owner of this site and are displayed here via the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) system of this broker’s MLS. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing nor displaying broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. © 2016 Western New York Real Estate Information Services (WNYREIS), LLC. All rights reserved.