The American Dream – Home Ownership
In an ideal world people would have all the money they need for a down payment on a home. Some buyers the only way to make this happen is with Buyer Assistance Programs. There are times that potential home owners need assistance in purchasing a home in Western New York.
But where does one start to look for that assistance in Western New York? There are lots of places to reach out for assistance in purchasing a home for sale. There are a variety of programs that will either assist you with your down payment on a WNY home or assistance with Mortgages and then there are Grant Programs that are available to qualified Western New York buyers.
Here is a resource list of programs available to Western New Yorkers. Know about a program that is not listed here? Please let us know so we can add it and assist other Western New York ! Of course you cannot purchase a home or determine your eligibility without a good Mortgage Professional to guide you through the process and work with you and your Realtor.
Down Payment Assistance and Mortgage Assistance Programs:
- HART – Allows you to buy a home with no money down.
- Nehemiah – Buy with no money down when combined with an FHA loan.
- Neighborhood Gold – This program no longer is in effect as of July 2007.
- Highland Community Revitalization Committee, Inc. in Niagara Falls. Contact their Director, William Dunn email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org call at (716) 282-2325
- FHA Loans – Government insured – allow you to buy a home with only a 3% down.
- VA Loans – If you are a veteran, you may buy a home with no money down.
Important Resources for Home Buyers:
- Federal Housing Administration (FHA)
- Veteran’s Administration (VA) Mortgage
- US Department of Housing and Urban Development HUD
- State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYA)
- NYS Division of Housing (DHCR)
- Buffalo Urban League 716-854-7625
- The Home ownership Center 716-856-2592
- Neighborhood Housing Services 716-856-2952
- New York State Home Page
- Erie County Home Page
- FIRST TIME HOMEBUYERS PROGRAM – For Erie County Residents 858-8390
- Niagara County Home Page
- The Home Ownership Center of Buffalo (716-856-2952) provides grant money and down payment assistance for: Home Repair programs, Emergency Repair programs, Bank Gift programs, 50/50 Loans, and Weatherization program
Specific Western New York Community Resources:
- Belmont Shelter Corp 312-8075
- Black Rock / Riverside NHS 877-3910 Serving North Buffalo/Black Rock/Riverside
- Broadway/Filmore NHS 852-3130 Serving: Fillmore District
- Buffalo Urban League 854-7625 Serving: Buffalo
- Center City Neighborhood Dev Corp. 282-3738 Serving: Center City and Niagara Falls
- Citizen’s Alliance 895-2234 Serves: Delevan-Grider community
- City of Buffalo Home Page
- Community Action Org. 881-5150 Serving: Erie County
- Community Preservation 853-0266
- Department of Environment & Planning 858-6927 Areas Served: Erie County (except City of Buffalo), Amherst, Cheektowaga, Tonawanda, Hamburg, plus villages within the towns
- Ellicott District Community Development 856-3262 Serving: Ellicott District of Buffalo
- Fillmore/Leroy Area Residents (FLARE) 838-6740 Serves: Central Park-Masten District
- Hispanics United of Buffalo (H.U.B.) 856-7110
- Homefront, Inc. 856-2952 Serving: Erie County, Niagara County and Buffalo
- Kensington-Bailey NHS 836-3600 Serving: North-East Buffalo
- Lackawanna Community Development 823-5124 Serving: Lackawanna
- Lovejoy District Neighborhood Revitalization Services 896-5010 Serves: Buffalo-Lovejoy District
- Native American Community Services of Erie & Niagara Counties 874-4460
- NHS of South Buffalo 823-3630 Serves: South Buffalo
- Niagara Falls NHS 285-7778
- North Buffalo Community Development 874-6133
- North Tonawanda Community Development 695-8580 Ext 515
- Old First Ward Community Center 856-8613 Serving: South Buffalo/Old First Ward
- Tonawanda Community Development Agency 695-8645
- Town of Amherst 631-7082
- Town of Hamburg 648-6216
- Town of Cheektowaga 961-6606
- Town of Tonawanda 871-8850
- Town of Lackawanna 823-5134
- City of Lockport 439-6687
- West Side Neighborhood Housing Services 885-2344 Serving: West Side of Buffalo
Selection of Homes for Sale: