Living in Western New York, winter is a reality here. It also makes the life of a Real Estate Agent that is showing property in the middle of winter, well let’s just say interesting. Taking clients out in winter we not only have winter driving to contend with, but homes that are not ready for a buyer to see. This is not just a presentation issue it is a safety issue as well!
Not every Realtor carries a shovel and salt in their cars to clear the way for their clients to see a home. I will draw the line at knee deep snow. I have had clients that get to the house and see that is not shoveled and they say never mind.…
It is understandable if someone makes an appointment for a showing for 9am the morning after a heavy snow fall that there may be snow on the driveway, walks and steps of the Western New York home. A week later it is just bad business.
If your home is for sale there are a few obvious things that you must do:
- Make sure that the driveway is clear of snow and ice
- Walkways should be clear of snow and ice
- Steps should be clear of snow
- Have a deck or patio area outside? Make sure it is clear of snow as well so buyers can appreciate it.
- Have something special in the backyard? A shed perhaps? Have a path shoveled so potential buyers can see it
Additional things that you should keep an eye out for include:
- Once through the entry a place for people to take their boots off so they can get into the door and close it quickly. If the floor is wet, there is a chance that someone can fall and get hurt.
- It gets dark early, make sure outdoor lights are on
- Speaking of darkness, make sure you have the highest wattage light bulbs in each light fixture. Winters can be dark and uninviting, so any opportunity to brighten a room do so!
- Make sure that mirrors and glass surfaces sparkle
- Shovel the sidewalk — it shows that you care about your community
- A bag salt for an agent by the door to sprinkle on the walkway if they see it is icy
- Dig your Realtor’s sign out so it can be easily seen. Many times we see just the top of a sign because a snow blower has blown snow on top of the sign.
- Have a fireplace? Have maintenance records available — perhaps the last time it had been serviced?
- Same with the heating system, maintenance is an issue for buyers, seeing a record of good maintenance is helpful
What About One Of These Homes?
All statistics are gathered from the Buffalo Niagara Association of REALTORS®.
For more information, call our J. Philip Real Estate Team at (716) 650-0051
Thinking of selling your Western New York home? Interested in finding out the current market value of your single family home, condo or investment property? Then call us at (716) 650-0051 to discuss what is happening in today’s Western New York Real Estate Market. We would be happy to give you a personalized Comparative Market Analysis for your home or assist you to purchase a home.
Properties found on this Web site may be listed with a brokerage other than the owner of this site and are displayed here via the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) system of this broker’s MLS. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing nor displaying broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. © 2016 Western New York Real Estate Information Services (WNYREIS), LLC. All rights reserved.